The written equivalent of a sneezing noise.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Of Computers and Government Servants

Computer basics 101:
On the modalities of the internet: how the computer connects with the world-
 "That number will make handshake with network."
  
 While figuring out how to save a file on MS Word-
Instructor: Supporting staff! Just come here.
Instructor contd.(sotto voce): Which version of MS Office is this?
Supporting Staff: Sir, 2007, Sir.
Instructor: Ah. (To the class-) Actually this is new version.

Today I attended a workshop on computer basics at my job-that-I’m-not-allowed-to-blog about*. When they said basics-they really meant it, although I enjoyed refreshing my 'knowledge' of RAMs and ROMs. There is always something new to learn.
The gentleman who imparted the training fit the stereotype of the first generation of (North Indian) computer engineers in India who landed up in government jobs. Bespeckled, incompletely dyed, oily, spiky hair and computer knowledge that is visibly outdated. He didn't look very enthused by his subject (although to be slightly fairer to him- he did have an audience of mostly 50 year olds.), which got me thinking about government servants and Talent.
I'm a fan of government servants and services. I think they have a very important role to play in the development of a country, and I shall continue to swear by MTNL, Air India, DTC and tribe till I discover a good enough reason not to. 
And I don't see why the government cannot have bright minds delivering computer 101s instead of tired, unethusiastic middle-aged men. I wonder if this is a chicken and egg question- does government service infuse lack of enthusiasm and mediocrity into certain governtment servants or is it the other way around?
Leave your thoughts on this, and help me identify another thread to be explored during my MPhil.

*I’ve been told this declaration makes me sound like a RAW agent (by a friend who occassionally, inexplicably, adopts the pseudonym  'Pinky'. Hello there, DDLJ!).

UPDATE: I am VERY pleased to note that the above gentleman was one of his kind. The other middle-aged, North Indian government servant who took class proved that not all of them are a stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments