However, for those times when you really shouldn't be ingesting daily doses of dark chocolate and butter, this is a fairly good recipe. It is also vegan (*shudder*) friendly.
Acknowledgements to my friend Google, and Annie B. Bond from 'Care2 make a difference'.
My modifications in random, coloured font.
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I used ordinary low grade atta; the lower the grade, the more the roughage, the better it is for health *virtuous smile* )
1/2 cup natural granulated sugar (Next time I will go for brown sugar. I'm just prejudiced towards it)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Depends on how rabid you are about the cocoa content in your cakes/brownies. I like mine pretty dark, so I'm going to double, maybe triple the cocoa content next time)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, optional (Haha. As if.)
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt or soy yogurt (Home-made curd)
2 tablespoons safflower oil (The only oil at home was mustard oil. Can you tell which part of the country I am from. Hence I used butter-but it didn't add anything to the final product.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used double the amount since I used atta)
1/4 cup low-fat milk, rice milk, or soy milk, as needed
1/2 cup chocolate chips, preferably cane-juice sweetened
Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9×9-inch baking pan.
2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and flaxseeds, if using, in a mixing bowl and stir together.
3. Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt, oil, vanilla, and enough milk to make a smooth and slightly stiff batter. Stir until completely mixed, then stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sides of the cake begin to pull away from the pan, and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean (with the exception of the melted chocolate chips). Allow to cool in the pan until just warm, then cut into squares to serve.(If you have a tiny Oven-Toaster-Grill like me, it bakes in 10 minutes flat)
Makes 12 or 16 squares.
P.S.- Curd is really a magic ingredient; this is the first time I tried it in a cake/brownie and it does give it the 'It' factor.
*Haha, I'm guessing I just pushed up my chances of attracting traffic atleast as much as if I would have used THOSE words.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments