The written equivalent of a sneezing noise.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Of Monkeys and (monkey-like) dancers

Today is Friday, the day when we (happily) quit work at 1430 hours in order to make it for the weekly review meeting at 1500 hours. This also makes it an opportune day* to carry the camera to work-something I'd been really wanting to do, owing to the Langoors.

Let me explain. The area I work in, is overrun with monkeys (the rhesus kind). The area is also overrun with Very Important People, who see no reason to bear with these red-bottomed primates who like to jump on their roofs early in the morning (and hang around after, too). I thus entered office one-day, to find the P.A. of the Boss on the phone, with the Boss hovering behind. This is the conversation I overhear:

P.A.: Main ____ ka P.A. bol raha hun. Langoor kab ayega?
       (I am _____'s P.A. When will the langoor arrive?)

(Bear in mind that the Boss is a Very Important Person, too, and most of the P.A's telephonic conversations are with other personages who also fall under the Very Important category, about matters that, in a manner of speaking, are of national importance.)

This was followed by the concerned Government Body sending a langoor daily. But as the langoor was duty bound to service other kothis as well, it was unable to devote more than an hour towards being scary**.  Thus a letter was written, in shuddh hindi, to eight neighbours (yes, they're Rhesus-affected Important People too) detailing the monkey menace and why it made perfect sense for said neighbours to join the Boss in employing a fulltime langoor.

Now, as the colleagues say, we have been joined by a new co-worker (who earns almost as much as I do). A co-worker who dangles its tail, eats leaves and occassionally sits in such pretty poses that it might as well be demanding to be photographed. 

Unfortunately, the langoor came late today, and proceeded to begin its day by napping alongside its handler. There was no way I could shoot the langoor without appearing to be photographing the sleeping handler as well-a situation I wanted to avoid, for various reasons. Hence no Langoor photo this Friday.

What I got, instead, were these. Project Bandaloop was performing in Delhi today which, thanks to Shreya and the canteen timings of Max Mueller Bhawan, I was able to catch.






Take a bow, you crazy dancers!

There are better videos available that show exactly what they do, but the two second one I finally remembered to capture, should give an idea.


*Lesser hours to carry the damnheavybag.
** Langoors scare away rhesus monkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments