The written equivalent of a sneezing noise.

Monday, April 4, 2011

The World Cup for Sachin!

What a match!

I'm an ex-rabid fan converted again: I will watch the next test series. It was a pleasure watching India bat, field and bowl as tightly as they did. The discipline is what I never imagined I would see in an Indian team is what made the last few matches such a joy to watch: we didn't have the strongest fielders or bowling attack in the world (save Zaheer, who remains a quality bowler: I still have my feelings about his debut at Nairobi etched onto the back of my Lion King pencil box: 'He makes Aussies! duck! his! balls!' Perhaps not the wisest choice of words, but I was twelve and watching an Indian bowl fast yorkers: a delivery I assumed was only associated with the Pakistanis or the English/Aussies/Proteas/Kiwis), and we have always suffered from having the strongest batting line-up throw away matches. Not this time though; Dhoni's knock in the final reminded me of the steely grit of Steve Waugh's innings against South Africa in the Super Six of 1999. He hadn't been in the best of form either and came back in style. Dhoni's style of captaincy also reminds me of Steve Waugh's having in common deep calm and steely grit.

The family watched the match together, stocking up on food and drinks to make a day out of it. I've been away from cricket for so long that I don't recognise most of the players any more. I was thus extra-keen to 'bid good-bye' to Muralitharan the magician, one of the last remaining players from the 1999 era. Him and Sachin. Murali had already got the World Cup once, I rationalised, so it was only fair for India and Sachin to win this one. I was, ofcourse, endlessly disappointed that he did not get to bowl at Sachin and even more, that he went wicketless.Damn shame Murali, although the others will see you on IPL soon*.

Well done, team India! We, the cricket loving populace, are proud (some are crazed**), and hope to see you convert this into a decade long World Dominance like the Aussies did four World Cups ago. Whee test cricket I'm back!

*I won't be watching that damnfoolcrapshit.
** Dear Chief Ministers and myriad scam-tained politicians: thanks for appreciating the men in blue, but I'm sure they don't all need crores on top of the ones they earned at the World Cup itself, followed by BCCI's gift. Not to talk about their bought souls, er, skills, at the IPL. Pump that money into the game, fund out domestic cricket, fund our-gasp-women cricketers too. Honour the cricketers with State and National awards instead, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments