One of the things I like to dream about is opening a school of my own in my twilight years. The school will NOT be a mainstream school*. The fees will be affordable, the children will be treated like people and there will be a lot of outdoor teaching. And classes on Nature, growing food, self-sufficiency. There will be no uniform, no permission taking to use the washrooms. There will be a lot of creative thinking in the approach to learning.
These alternative schools exist today, but most of them are so expensive that I could never afford them on my salary (when I begin to earn a salary). Great education should not be for the rich only, no?
*My brother and I went to pretty awesome private schools, and my parents worked pretty hard for it. We owe a lot to those schools, so I'm never going to claim they suck.
These alternative schools exist today, but most of them are so expensive that I could never afford them on my salary (when I begin to earn a salary). Great education should not be for the rich only, no?
*My brother and I went to pretty awesome private schools, and my parents worked pretty hard for it. We owe a lot to those schools, so I'm never going to claim they suck.
My parents put me in an unbearable 'posh' private school, run by arrogant, self-important pricks that wasted most of 10 years of my life.
ReplyDelete:-(
Part of the reason why I always wanted to be a teacher. To make sure at least some kids get the benefit of a teacher who can make Science and language interesting.
I do this part time now :D Very satisfying.
Your outdoor classes reminds me of someone's description of Tagore's Shantiniketan. Always great to learn languages in the shade of a tree.
:) I know the kind that you mean.
ReplyDeleteYou teach? That is uber cool! I'd love to teach one day (absolutely little kids); I'm hoping I get over myself enough to do it. Right now I'm petrified at the thought of facing a classroom!:)
Great man, Tagore. Despite what's being done to him on his 150th :(