The past couple of days have been of a warm, glowy sort. The kind of warm and glowy that grows with yet another re-reading of all the Harry Potter books. Not that I did that, ofcourse, especially as I have an assignment due tomorrow *cough*. So anyhow, an entry on the Local Tea Party's blog led me to youtubing old advertisements that my generation grew up with. Here you go, I'm sharing the glow.
1. Hamara Bajaj: The common man's, everyman's mode of transport in the 90s, when India was transitioning from closed to open economy. Watch it and compare it with the Nano ad of 2010: there are bound to be similarities in tone, given as they're both being pitched as the common man's vehicle. An interesting snapshot of changing middle class aspirations and reaction to and consumption of the post-liberalisation myth.
The Maruti 800 which became the first car to be affordable enough for the middle class population to transition from a two wheeler to a four wheeler, must have had advertisements too. But while I clearly remember the Bajaj ads, I can't recall a similar one for the 800. I remember ads for the Estillo, Zen, DZire, Esteem ("I have more esteem than you!"), i.e. all cars that appeared later on as the liberalisation unfolded, but not for the 800...
2. Washing Powder Nirma: :D
3. The Cadbury Dairy Milk ad: Doesn't even compare with the horrible Bournville ad, does it? (I'm not even going to link the latter, it's best left unwatched-if you're lucky enough to have avoided it on TV)
4.The Amul Story: I used to love this one. Still do :)
5. The Fevicol Ad: Sheeer awesomeness!:D
Are you glowing yet? :D Shake it up a bit with this:
Help yourself discover Corvus Corax if you haven't already. The German medieval music band is a treat for multiple senses and is a complete package of awesomenese.
And now, I shall quit indulging the glow and start working.
1. Hamara Bajaj: The common man's, everyman's mode of transport in the 90s, when India was transitioning from closed to open economy. Watch it and compare it with the Nano ad of 2010: there are bound to be similarities in tone, given as they're both being pitched as the common man's vehicle. An interesting snapshot of changing middle class aspirations and reaction to and consumption of the post-liberalisation myth.
The Maruti 800 which became the first car to be affordable enough for the middle class population to transition from a two wheeler to a four wheeler, must have had advertisements too. But while I clearly remember the Bajaj ads, I can't recall a similar one for the 800. I remember ads for the Estillo, Zen, DZire, Esteem ("I have more esteem than you!"), i.e. all cars that appeared later on as the liberalisation unfolded, but not for the 800...
2. Washing Powder Nirma: :D
3. The Cadbury Dairy Milk ad: Doesn't even compare with the horrible Bournville ad, does it? (I'm not even going to link the latter, it's best left unwatched-if you're lucky enough to have avoided it on TV)
4.The Amul Story: I used to love this one. Still do :)
5. The Fevicol Ad: Sheeer awesomeness!:D
Are you glowing yet? :D Shake it up a bit with this:
Help yourself discover Corvus Corax if you haven't already. The German medieval music band is a treat for multiple senses and is a complete package of awesomenese.
And now, I shall quit indulging the glow and start working.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments