*I read
Shreya Sen-Handley's Memoirs of My Body last night.
First
thing that came to mind: very Caitlin Moran. Caitlin Moran a la How to be a
Woman.
Second
thing that came to mind: Read Rosalyn D'Mello's A Handbook for my Lover
instead.
(The two books don't belong to the same genre, but as long as memoirisation of female bodies and sexualities go, D'Mello's is better. Vertical hierarchization, so shoot me!)
Third
thing that came to mind: it bugs me that she's so terribly smug and
superior about how she and her husband have child rearing nailed down. Her kids
aren't even adolescents yet; does she think they won't be writing their memoirs
and blogs when they realise the specific ways their childhood messed
them up?
I happily
grant, however, that she seems to be doing a great job of I-will-not-fuck-up-my-kids-in-the-specific-manner-my-parents-fucked-me-up.
There are, after all, lots of parents who do precisely that. Her personal
journey seems to have been a remarkable testimony to her spirit. I wish she
would have allowed her narrative to be more complex and nuanced.
*Another
book that caught my attention was Shreevatsa Nevatia's soon to be released How
to Travel Light: My Memoirs of Madness and Melancholia. The question is:
kindle edition or paperback? It releases six days before:
*Bruce
Dickinson's What Does This Button Do? An Auobiography.
I may no
longer be an obsessive fan of Iron Maiden, but this man's story? I will always
want to read. And too, Iron Maiden still makes great music.
*The
#MeToo thing.
I haven't read the actual thread (there's a thread or something,
right?), just references to it on my facebook feed (I reactivate now and then,
shhh!).
I could
be wrong, but I get the sense, again, that the mainstream conversation on
sexual harassment makes things very simple: women the victims and men the
perpetrators.
There IS
a huge problem where women are the victims who are assaulted in big and little
ways with unwelcome sexual attention, advances, mind games, and physical
aggression and violation by men. And there IS a huge problem of not knowing how
to frame the experience in thoughts and words, and in being believed.
But it is
not so neat as that, no? People placed at all points on the gender spectrum
must have experienced the same no? Can you imagine what it must be like to
process sexual harassment, assault, and even rape for a stereotypical
man? I don't think people believe it is possible for a man to feel violated
sexually. And I wish people did not make those neat demarcations in their
heads-woman/victim, man/perpetrator- when thinking about the matter of sexual
assault.
*And also,
also: The Russian Army.
I have discovered and become a devoted fan of, because,
oh my! Have you heard the music they make? And it's not just the Alexandrov
Ensemble-formerly Red Army Choir-but several divisions of the army that makes
gorgeous music. It also breaks my heart that over 60 members of the Ensemble
died last December. Such music lost! :(
Presently
earwormed by:
Russian Army doing Gangnam Style to Bad Romance
Alexandrov Ensemble,2017, including the Cossack Dance and viewer comment#1
An older version of the Alexandrov Ensemble/Red Army Choir performing Battle Hymn of the Republic/Glorie Aleluia
There is
so much more, but let Youtube suggestions guide you if you're searching.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments